Because I am out of the house nearly every day during the week – either at work or at school – I like to have easy to make and carry snacks to bring with me. Since I am trying my best to choose snacks that are lower in carbs but still give me some satisfaction (and energy is a bonus as well) – I thought it would be cool to share some of my favorite diabetic-friendly snacks. Of course, eating TOO MUCH of anything is not a good thing so always look at serving sizes and ingredients/labels!
So here are some of my favorites that I try to always have on hand.
- Trail Mix – watch the carb count on these and stick to the serving size. I like to make my own a lot of the time so I know what is in it.
- Apples with peanut butter – this is super easy and you can keep the peanut butter in a separate container or purchase the pre-packaged travel sized ones.
- Crackers with cheese – simple and delicious.
- Greek Yogurt – plain with either strawberries, bananas or a little honey. I also like to freeze my yogurt for a cold snack on hot days.
- Tuna and cucumbers – add a little lite mayo and pepper if you want or just eat it plain.
- Low Fat Cottage Cheese and carrots – I realize I have been eating this A LOT lately – nearly every meeting (via Skype) that Kristina and I have I am eating this. I usually have baby carrots on hand but you can also slice larger ones into little discs so you can easily dip and munch.
What are your favorite snacks? Share it with us in the comments.
Have Diabetes? Receive recipes to 15 Delicious, Healthy and Diabetic Dinners for FREE. Click Here to join.